From: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Headless gentoo install
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:27:48
1 On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 02:24:07PM +0200, Dirk Uys wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Momesso Andrea
3 > <momesso.andrea@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > I need to install gentoo on an headless server.
5 > > The problem is that I cannot attach a video on it at all, neither for
6 > > the installation.
7 > >
8 > > I asked the seller to setup the bios for cd boot as main option, so that
9 > > I can use a live distro for the gentoo installation.
10 > >
11 > > I know for sure that both the gentoo livecd and systemrescuecd need user
12 > > interaction to setup ssh (at least I have to choose a root password).
13 > >
14 > > I think it won't be too difficoult to do it blind:
15 > > - Insert cd
16 > > - Poweron the machine
17 > > - Wait a while
18 > > - Type "passwd" "******" "******" "/etc/init.d/net.sshd restart"
19 > >
20 > > But I'm sure somewhere there are livecds with a fixed root password,
21 > > that start dhcp and sshd on boot. Possibly x86_64.
22 > > Does anyone know such a livedistro, or can anybody suggest a different
23 > > method for my installation?
24 > >
25 > > This is the machine:
26 > > http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=280282897816
29 > Have you considered using one of the usb distros available. I think
30 > it's easy to configure ssh with a know password. Have a look at
31 > http://www.pendrivelinux.com/. Haven't booted a linux from usb myself,
32 > but I think it should work?
33
34 I realized that there are two kinds of usb distros: the livecd derived
35 distros, that behave like livecds mounting the system in ram (thos don't
36 allow permanent changes) and real distros residing on a usb stick.
37
38 I need one of those.
39
40 The main problem is that most of usb distros are 32 bit, while I'd like
41 to install a 64 bit system (so no chroot available).
42
43 Probably the easiest way wold be to edit a livecd iso and remaster it...
44 Systemrescuecd wold be perfect. Any hints of where to look for
45 documentation about that?
48 > Regards
49 > Dirk