From: Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Headless gentoo install
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:24:09
1 On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Momesso Andrea
2 <momesso.andrea@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > I need to install gentoo on an headless server.
4 > The problem is that I cannot attach a video on it at all, neither for
5 > the installation.
6 >
7 > I asked the seller to setup the bios for cd boot as main option, so that
8 > I can use a live distro for the gentoo installation.
9 >
10 > I know for sure that both the gentoo livecd and systemrescuecd need user
11 > interaction to setup ssh (at least I have to choose a root password).
12 >
13 > I think it won't be too difficoult to do it blind:
14 > - Insert cd
15 > - Poweron the machine
16 > - Wait a while
17 > - Type "passwd" "******" "******" "/etc/init.d/net.sshd restart"
18 >
19 > But I'm sure somewhere there are livecds with a fixed root password,
20 > that start dhcp and sshd on boot. Possibly x86_64.
21 > Does anyone know such a livedistro, or can anybody suggest a different
22 > method for my installation?
23 >
24 > This is the machine:
25 > http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=280282897816
28 Have you considered using one of the usb distros available. I think
29 it's easy to configure ssh with a know password. Have a look at
30 http://www.pendrivelinux.com/. Haven't booted a linux from usb myself,
31 but I think it should work?
32
33 Regards