From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: broadcom-sta and the 3.6.x kernel
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 09:04:32
1 On 2012-12-07, Mick wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 04 Dec 2012 15:30:04 Dustin C. Hatch wrote:
4 >> On 12/4/2012 06:11, Florian Philipp wrote:
5 >> > Do you actually need broadcom-sta anymore? With the recent kernel
6 >> > updates more chips work with the in-kernel driver (brcmsmac). But the
7 >> > config option is well hidden (you need to enable BCMA to even see it).
8 >>
9 >> Yes, I initially tried the b43 driver, which worked, but consistently
10 >> dropped about 5-15% of packets, making it mostly unusable. I also tried
11 >> bcrmsmac and bcrmfmac, and neither of them supported my card (432b).
12 >> Unfortunately, I can't get a different card, either, because I my
13 >> notebook has a "whitelist" of supported devices in the BIOS, and it
14 >> won't even boot with a mini-pci-e card installed that isn't in that
15 >> list. Thanks, HP :(
16 >
17 > This sounds scary!!! Isn't there a way of disabling this feature in
18 > the BIOS?
19
20 With HP, you don't even get a BIOS setup. You get something that tells
21 you the processor temperature and possibly lets you change the boot
22 order.
23
24 > Have you spoken to the HP police to ask what they can do to allow you to
25 > manage the machine you bought from them? O_O
26
27 I guess I could do that too. I find it a bit annoying that they don't
28 even offer a BIOS setup and then decide to silently flip some of the
29 settings with BIOS upgrades (like disabling AMD-V...)
33 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
34 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/