From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] broadcom-sta and the 3.6.x kernel
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 12:53:29
1 On Tuesday 04 Dec 2012 15:30:04 Dustin C. Hatch wrote:
2 > On 12/4/2012 06:11, Florian Philipp wrote:
3 > > Do you actually need broadcom-sta anymore? With the recent kernel
4 > > updates more chips work with the in-kernel driver (brcmsmac). But the
5 > > config option is well hidden (you need to enable BCMA to even see it).
6 >
7 > Yes, I initially tried the b43 driver, which worked, but consistently
8 > dropped about 5-15% of packets, making it mostly unusable. I also tried
9 > bcrmsmac and bcrmfmac, and neither of them supported my card (432b).
10 > Unfortunately, I can't get a different card, either, because I my
11 > notebook has a "whitelist" of supported devices in the BIOS, and it
12 > won't even boot with a mini-pci-e card installed that isn't in that
13 > list. Thanks, HP :(
14
15 This sounds scary!!! Isn't there a way of disabling this feature in the BIOS?
16 Have you spoken to the HP police to ask what they can do to allow you to
17 manage the machine you bought from them? O_O
20 Regards,
21 Mick