From: Ryan Viljoen <ravilj@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adding Linux clients to samba primary domain controller
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 15:06:48
1 there should be 100 or so computers.
2
3 How do the linux clients authenticate when the user logs on?
4
5 On 9/24/05, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
6 >
7 > On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 02:03:52PM +0200, Ryan Viljoen wrote:
8 > > I am currently helping out my old high school. They have just got some
9 > "new"
10 > > pc's and they are wanting to run a dual boot setup on them with windows
11 > 2k
12 > > and gentoo. The profile and home directories are all on a server and are
13 > > mounted once the user has logged on and authenticated... nothing out of
14 > the
15 > > ordinary there.
16 > >
17 > > Now how does one do the same thing with a linux client ie: the user log
18 > in
19 > > is authenticated on the server and once that is done their home
20 > directory is
21 > > mounted on the client for them?
24 > how many clients? AFAIK, on the linux computers in my department in a
25 > university just has a file server, which gets mounted by every linux
26 > box as NFS, and /home/user is just a link to /mountpoint/user
27 >
28 > I've never administered a large network before, so I don't know how
29 > relevant this information is, but the above solution seems to work for
30 > our department and supports about 500 people, 150 machines or so.
31 >
32 > W
33 > --
34 > News headline:
35 > The man who fell into an upholstery machine was fully recovered.
36 > Sortir en Pantoufles: up 43 days, 17:35
37 > --
38 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
44 "When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just stare at
45 you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, for free". - Linus