From: wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System borked after emerge -e world
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 21:28:42
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > wabe wrote:
4 > > Hi folks,
5 > >
6 > > it seems that my system is broken after recompiling everything with
7 > > the new gcc5.
8 > >
9 > > I even cannot execute any command or start new programs. It is also
10 > > not possible to open a terminal or to login on console.
11 > >
12 > > When I type something in an already opened Xterm it says
13 > > "Ungültiger Maschinenbefehl" (in English probably something like
14 > > "invalid machine command").
15 > >
16 > > On tty12 I can see messages like this:
17 > >
18 > > traps: ls[4055] trap invalid opcode ip:3cd3d91e024 sp:3d6a804abb0
19 > > error:0 in libc-2.23.so[3cd3d865000+19d000] grsec: Illegal
20 > > instruction occured at 000003cd3d91e026 in /bin/ls[ls:4055]
21 > > uid/euid:0/0 gid/egid:0/0, parent...
22 > >
23 > > kernel is 4.8.17-hardened-r2
24 > >
25 > > (uname -a is still working).
26 > >
27 > > I don't dare to reboot my system because I'm not sure that it will
28 > > boot.
29 > >
30 > > I don't even know if this email will reach the list, because claws
31 > > mail also dropped some errors about "bogofilter doesn't work".
32 > >
33 > > Any help would really appreciated.
34 > >
35 > > --
36 > > Regards
37 > > wabe
38 > >
39 > > .
42 > I wonder if this is related. When I did my switch, I hit a point
43 > where I had to start the alt sysreq key sequence. I only had to do
44 > the R and E part to get my console back tho. At the time, I thought
45 > it may just be some weird occurrence but now I wonder if it was
46 > related to some update. Once I got my console and login screen, I
47 > was able to login and carry on, after getting all the services back
48 > running that got killed off. I got the login screen back after
49 > hitting the E part.
50 >
51 > I wonder, will others run into this sort of problem? If so, what is
52 > the best way to get back to normal? For you, rebooting helped. For
53 > me, just starting the alt sysreq did the trick. It makes one wonder.
54
55 Hi Dale,
56
57 thanks for this hint. Although I know about this "magic stuff", I don't
58 even have it enabled in my kernel. At the moment I'm happy that my
59 system is working again so that I can do some other urgent tasks. But
60 I will look closely at these function within the next time. Even when
61 it is not possible to "repair" the system in the case of a crash, it is
62 helpful to be able to write the cache to disk and reboot the system.
65 Regards
66 wabe