From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System borked after emerge -e world
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 21:56:11
1 wabe wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> wabe wrote:
5 >>> Hi folks,
6 >>>
7 >>> it seems that my system is broken after recompiling everything with
8 >>> the new gcc5.
9 >>>
10 >>> I even cannot execute any command or start new programs. It is also
11 >>> not possible to open a terminal or to login on console.
12 >>>
13 >>> When I type something in an already opened Xterm it says
14 >>> "Ungültiger Maschinenbefehl" (in English probably something like
15 >>> "invalid machine command").
16 >>>
17 >>> On tty12 I can see messages like this:
18 >>>
19 >>> traps: ls[4055] trap invalid opcode ip:3cd3d91e024 sp:3d6a804abb0
20 >>> error:0 in libc-2.23.so[3cd3d865000+19d000] grsec: Illegal
21 >>> instruction occured at 000003cd3d91e026 in /bin/ls[ls:4055]
22 >>> uid/euid:0/0 gid/egid:0/0, parent...
23 >>>
24 >>> kernel is 4.8.17-hardened-r2
25 >>>
26 >>> (uname -a is still working).
27 >>>
28 >>> I don't dare to reboot my system because I'm not sure that it will
29 >>> boot.
30 >>>
31 >>> I don't even know if this email will reach the list, because claws
32 >>> mail also dropped some errors about "bogofilter doesn't work".
33 >>>
34 >>> Any help would really appreciated.
35 >>>
36 >>> --
37 >>> Regards
38 >>> wabe
39 >>>
40 >>> .
41 >>>
42 >> I wonder if this is related. When I did my switch, I hit a point
43 >> where I had to start the alt sysreq key sequence. I only had to do
44 >> the R and E part to get my console back tho. At the time, I thought
45 >> it may just be some weird occurrence but now I wonder if it was
46 >> related to some update. Once I got my console and login screen, I
47 >> was able to login and carry on, after getting all the services back
48 >> running that got killed off. I got the login screen back after
49 >> hitting the E part.
50 >>
51 >> I wonder, will others run into this sort of problem? If so, what is
52 >> the best way to get back to normal? For you, rebooting helped. For
53 >> me, just starting the alt sysreq did the trick. It makes one wonder.
54 > Hi Dale,
55 >
56 > thanks for this hint. Although I know about this "magic stuff", I don't
57 > even have it enabled in my kernel. At the moment I'm happy that my
58 > system is working again so that I can do some other urgent tasks. But
59 > I will look closely at these function within the next time. Even when
60 > it is not possible to "repair" the system in the case of a crash, it is
61 > helpful to be able to write the cache to disk and reboot the system.
62 >
63 > --
64 > Regards
65 > wabe
70 It's rare that I have to go "all the way" with this but at least it does
71 flush things through the system and properly unmounts file systems
72 first. That alone is some comfort. I switched to ext4 which is
73 supposed to handle those things pretty well BUT why risk it if you can
74 unmount them properly, even if it is brute force.
75
76 One thing about alt sysreq, once you get to a certain point, you have to
77 go "all the way" with it. I've found that just the R and E generally
78 gets things back to a point it is accessible and I don't have to go
79 through it all. I think once you get to the I or S, it's all or nothing
80 at that point. Even after the E, you may have to start/restart some
81 init processes. FYI, I'm pretty sure the S is what syncs the file
82 systems and the U unmounts everything. Of course, the B reboots. I
83 can't recall what the others do exactly.
84
85 I wonder if some guru that is familiar with this could shine some light
86 and share some wisdom.
87
88 Dale
89