From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System borked after emerge -e world
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 22:42:33
1 On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 16:56:00 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > One thing about alt sysreq, once you get to a certain point, you have to
4 > go "all the way" with it. I've found that just the R and E generally
5 > gets things back to a point it is accessible and I don't have to go
6 > through it all. I think once you get to the I or S, it's all or nothing
7 > at that point. Even after the E, you may have to start/restart some
8 > init processes. FYI, I'm pretty sure the S is what syncs the file
9 > systems and the U unmounts everything. Of course, the B reboots. I
10 > can't recall what the others do exactly.
11
12 R resets the keyboard. E sends a SIGTERM to all processes except PID1,
13 which is why you need to restart services after pressing it. I sends a
14 SIGKILL similarly. As you say S syncs ass filesystems, U unmounts
15 filesystems and remounts them readonly and B reboots.
16
17 Once you have got to E, you need to restart stuff. You may get away with
18 switching runlevels to bring up all your services, or you may decide that
19 once the system has got itself into a state that has you reaching for
20 SysRq, a reboot is in order.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Top Oxymorons Number 44: Advanced BASIC