From: wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System borked after emerge -e world
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 23:07:30
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 16:56:00 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 >
5 > > One thing about alt sysreq, once you get to a certain point, you
6 > > have to go "all the way" with it. I've found that just the R and E
7 > > generally gets things back to a point it is accessible and I don't
8 > > have to go through it all. I think once you get to the I or S,
9 > > it's all or nothing at that point. Even after the E, you may have
10 > > to start/restart some init processes. FYI, I'm pretty sure the S
11 > > is what syncs the file systems and the U unmounts everything. Of
12 > > course, the B reboots. I can't recall what the others do exactly.
13 >
14 > R resets the keyboard. E sends a SIGTERM to all processes except PID1,
15 > which is why you need to restart services after pressing it. I sends a
16 > SIGKILL similarly. As you say S syncs ass filesystems, U unmounts
17 > filesystems and remounts them readonly and B reboots.
18 >
19 > Once you have got to E, you need to restart stuff. You may get away
20 > with switching runlevels to bring up all your services, or you may
21 > decide that once the system has got itself into a state that has you
22 > reaching for SysRq, a reboot is in order.
23
24 Most of the keys are documented here:
25
26 https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Magic_SysRQ/
27
28 And even more in the kernel directory at Documentation/sysrq.txt.
29
30 I will pin these synopsis onto the backside of my monitor. :-)
33 Regards
34 wabe