From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System borked after emerge -e world
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 23:31:55
1 wabe wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 16:56:00 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> One thing about alt sysreq, once you get to a certain point, you
7 >>> have to go "all the way" with it. I've found that just the R and E
8 >>> generally gets things back to a point it is accessible and I don't
9 >>> have to go through it all. I think once you get to the I or S,
10 >>> it's all or nothing at that point. Even after the E, you may have
11 >>> to start/restart some init processes. FYI, I'm pretty sure the S
12 >>> is what syncs the file systems and the U unmounts everything. Of
13 >>> course, the B reboots. I can't recall what the others do exactly.
14 >> R resets the keyboard. E sends a SIGTERM to all processes except PID1,
15 >> which is why you need to restart services after pressing it. I sends a
16 >> SIGKILL similarly. As you say S syncs ass filesystems, U unmounts
17 >> filesystems and remounts them readonly and B reboots.
18 >>
19 >> Once you have got to E, you need to restart stuff. You may get away
20 >> with switching runlevels to bring up all your services, or you may
21 >> decide that once the system has got itself into a state that has you
22 >> reaching for SysRq, a reboot is in order.
23 > Most of the keys are documented here:
24 >
25 > https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Magic_SysRQ/
26 >
27 > And even more in the kernel directory at Documentation/sysrq.txt.
28 >
29 > I will pin these synopsis onto the backside of my monitor. :-)
30 >
31 > --
32 > Regards
33 > wabe
36 I have it on a small post-it-note stuck on the side of my monitor. I'm
37 not sure, may have been Neil or Alan, that posted it this way.
38
39 Reboot Even If System Utterly Broken.
40
41 That sort of stuck with me. Still, I look at the sticky note to be
42 sure. I found it on linuxhowtos.org which ironically, was translated
43 from a site in your language I think. lol
44
45 Anyway, it's handy to have around, just in case, and a little safety is
46 needed when it seems the Sun just went dark. I wish I had that when I
47 did the hal thing. Let's not go to far into that tho.
48
49 Dale
50