From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Plasmashell consuming huge amounts of memory.
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 19:30:22
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I did a upgrade recently and after that, plasmashell is consuming a huge
5 > amount of memory.  I noticed it at one point and it was taking about
6 > 8GBs.  I killed it and restarted but it seems to keep happening after a
7 > few hours.  After I took a nap, I nudged the monitor back to the on
8 > state only to notice it had eaten so much memory that the system killed
9 > plasmashell and I had to restart it then.  It also made other programs
10 > go to swap since it was full as well.  Glad the system dealt with it
11 > instead of just crashing the whole thing.
12 >
13 > After I restart it, it goes back to normal, a few hundred megabytes, but
14 > slowly starts increasing again.  It gets old having to either logout or
15 > restart the thing.
16 >
17 > Has anyone else noticed this happening on their systems?  If not, I may
18 > rename .kde4 and see if that helps.  Maybe a bad or outdated config.
19 >
20 > Currently on:
21 >
22 > kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.10.5-r1
23 >
24 > Was on:
25 >
26 > kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.10.5
27 >
28 > It seems it was a Gentoo upgrade based on the -r1.
29 >
30 > Thanks.
31 >
32 > Dale
33 >
34 > :-)  :-)
38 Just a little update, a recent update seems to have corrected this
39 issue.  The update to 5.11.2 doesn't seem to have the same memory hog
40 issue.  If anyone else is having this issue, upgrade to that version and
41 hopefully it will work like it should.
42
43 Thanks to all for their replies.
44
45 Dale