From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: star
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:28:12
1 Michael Schreckenbauer ha scritto:
2 > Am Montag, 24. September 2007 schrieb Alexander Skwar:
3 >> To keep GNU tar, you mean? Well, there's at least a reason to not ONLY
4 >> have star: Star is made by Jörg Schilling, one of the biggest morons
5 >> on the earth. Guess why some distributions no longer use cdrecord but
6 >> switched to cdrkit?
7 >
8 > Keep your private rants offlist please. Your personal opinions on Jörg
9 > Schilling are completly irrelevant.
10
11 I agree it was not a nice rant, but it's not an irrelevant opinion,
12 because Schilling -let's say- idiosyncratic personality, has led, as
13 Alexander pointed out, to the disapperance of cdrecord from most Linux
14 distros and its substitution with cdrkit, for example.
15
16 The problem is that of a tool that for licence etc. problems could be
17 easily be dropped from a distribution. It's of a relatively unreliable
18 developer (or, better stated, of unrealiable relationships between the
19 dev and the community). Given this, I would think twice before
20 substituting tar with a Schilling tool. The cdrecord scar is still painful.
21
22 m.
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list