From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: star
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:02:06
1 Am Mittwoch, 26. September 2007 00:26:51 schrieb b.n.:
2 > Michael Schreckenbauer ha scritto:
3 > > Am Montag, 24. September 2007 schrieb Alexander Skwar:
4 > >> To keep GNU tar, you mean? Well, there's at least a reason to not ONLY
5 > >> have star: Star is made by Jörg Schilling, one of the biggest morons
6 > >> on the earth. Guess why some distributions no longer use cdrecord but
7 > >> switched to cdrkit?
8 > >
9 > > Keep your private rants offlist please. Your personal opinions on Jörg
10 > > Schilling are completly irrelevant.
11 >
12 > I agree it was not a nice rant, but it's not an irrelevant opinion,
13 > because Schilling -let's say- idiosyncratic personality, has led, as
14 > Alexander pointed out, to the disapperance of cdrecord from most Linux
15 > distros and its substitution with cdrkit, for example.
16
17 and I for myself drop cdrkit in every place I find it and replace it with the
18 imo working tool named cdrecord.
19
20 > The problem is that of a tool that for licence etc. problems could be
21 > easily be dropped from a distribution. It's of a relatively unreliable
22 > developer (or, better stated, of unrealiable relationships between the
23 > dev and the community).
24
25 I have no problems at all with Jörg, quite the opposite.
26
27 > Given this, I would think twice before
28 > substituting tar with a Schilling tool. The cdrecord scar is still painful.
29
30 Good programmers often have big egos. See Linus for an example. When will
31 distributions drop the kernel, because Linus made bad comments about gnome,
32 cups or some other random program?
33 The tool (star, cdrecord) works, is well supported and the programmer reacts
34 in time to requests. What else do you expect?
35
36 > m.
37
38 Greetings,