From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: star
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:46:55
1 Michael Schreckenbauer ha scritto:
2 > and I for myself drop cdrkit in every place I find it and replace it with the
3 > imo working tool named cdrecord.
4
5 Sure, your choice.
6
7 >> The problem is that of a tool that for licence etc. problems could be
8 >> easily be dropped from a distribution. It's of a relatively unreliable
9 >> developer (or, better stated, of unrealiable relationships between the
10 >> dev and the community).
11 >
12 > I have no problems at all with Jörg, quite the opposite.
13
14 It's not *you* that has to have problems with him. It's distributions.
15 See below.
16
17 >> Given this, I would think twice before
18 >> substituting tar with a Schilling tool. The cdrecord scar is still painful.
19 >
20 > Good programmers often have big egos. See Linus for an example. When will
21 > distributions drop the kernel, because Linus made bad comments about gnome,
22 > cups or some other random program?
23 > The tool (star, cdrecord) works, is well supported and the programmer reacts
24 > in time to requests. What else do you expect?
25
26 The problem with cdrecord (and J.S.) is that in a new version of
27 cdrecord he bundled CDDL and GPL code together, thinking that it's right
28 to distribute such an hybrid binary.
29 Debian and a large number of other distros think instead that you cannot
30 legally distribute a CDDL+GPL hybrid thing. So, to avoid legal concerns,
31 they had to remove cdrecord from the distribution and fork the last GPL
32 (or CDDL?)-only version of cdrecord.
33
34 In our case: if you use a tool like that in your scripts and suddenly
35 the Gentoo devs feel that tool has to be removed/replaced (not the case
36 of cdrtools in Gentoo apparently, but...), you are in trouble. It's not
37 matter of who is right/who is wrong (I personally have no serious
38 opinion on that, because I didn't enter into the issue), but J.S.
39 refused any attempt to settle down the problem with the Linux
40 distribution, only putting blame on them and telling them "oh who cares,
41 f**k you". That's why someone has harsh opinions on him and can't trust
42 relying on his tools.
43
44 OTOH, I agree he's a truly skilled developer.
45
46 m.
47 --
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list