From: Tamas Sarga <tamas.sarga2@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble running X clients as root
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 19:29:16
1 Robert Persson wrote:
2 > I am trying to run gdmsetup and getting "can't find display" type errors.
3 >
4 > Here is what happened when I try to run it from an xterm:
5 >
6 > robert@zebedee ~ $ sux
7 > Password:
8 > zebedee robert # gdmsetup
9 >
10 > (gdmsetup:6618): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
11 > Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
12 > specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
13 > Could not access GDM configuration file.
14 > zebedee robert # exit
15 > exit
16 > robert@zebedee ~ $ sudo gdmsetup
17 > Password:
18 >
19 > (gdmsetup:6828): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
22 > I then tried, as a test, to open a root xterm using sux and I got the
23 > following error:
24 >
25 > sux
26 > Password:
27 > zebedee robert # xterm
28 > Warning: Tried to connect to session manager, Authentication Rejected,
29 > reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and
30 > host-based authentication failed
33 > However the root xterm opened up anyway. It failed when I tried to sudo an
34 > xterm:
35 >
36 > sudo xterm
37 > Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root
38 > user.
39 > The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
40 > in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running the
41 > program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the executable.
42 > xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s
43 > xterm: DISPLAY is not set
46 > However DISPLAY +is+ set. When I "echo $DISPLAY", "sudo echo $DISPLAY" or sux
47 > and then "echo $DISPLAY" I get the same answer-- :0.0
48 >
49 > This has got me quite confused. I used not to get these messages when I ran X
50 > clients as root. Anyone know what is going on here?
51 >
52 > Thanks in advance
53 > Robert
54
55 Hi,
56
57 I tried to reproduce it, but can't. But I dicovered, that `sux` and `sux
58 -` is not the same. The help doesn't say anything about - parameter, but
59 if I give `env` after `sux` and `sux -` then I found some differences.
60 Maybe `sux -` worth a try for you. BTW I can start xterm without any
61 error or warning with or without -.
62 In /etc/X11 I don't find any approrpiate setting. Maybe you could try it
63 under TWM.
64
65 TIA.
66 Cheers,