From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LINGUAS make.conf variable being ignored?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2018 15:28:48
1 On Sunday, 7 January 2018 13:45:49 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 13:05:20 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > > > Hmm ... according to Wikipedia it was conceived in the 19th century,
4 > > > > well before the World Wars. Canada was the first place where DST
5 > > > > was introduced, in Ontario only. Tis true nevertheless that the
6 > > > > German Empire introduced it during the Great War to conserve coal,
7 > > > > 5 years later.
8 > > >
9 > > > I didn't know about the Canadian usage, only the wartime usage.
10 > >
11 > > I've always understood it was to give farmers more evening daylight to
12 > > work in the fields and to get the harvest in. School summer breaks were
13 > > long so that the children could go out with them to help.
14 >
15 > The farmers are against it as it gives less daylight in the early hours
16 > for milking etc.
17
18 Perhaps so, now, but a hundred years ago they didn't have powerful
19 floodlights on their tractors to enable them to keep working after dark. It
20 was a case of all-hands-to-the-harvest until they just couldn't see any
21 more.
22
23 > Maybe they need a way to enable DST in the cows' cron so they want milking
24 > an hour later.
28 Regards,
29 Peter.