From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LINGUAS make.conf variable being ignored?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2018 13:46:05
1 On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 13:05:20 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > > >
4 > > > Hmm ... according to Wikipedia it was conceived in the 19th century,
5 > > > well before the World Wars. Canada was the first place where DST
6 > > > was introduced, in Ontario only. Tis true nevertheless that the
7 > > > German Empire introduced it during the Great War to conserve coal,
8 > > > 5 years later.
9 > >
10 > > I didn't know about the Canadian usage, only the wartime usage.
11 >
12 > I've always understood it was to give farmers more evening daylight to
13 > work in the fields and to get the harvest in. School summer breaks were
14 > long so that the children could go out with them to help.
15
16 The farmers are against it as it gives less daylight in the early hours
17 for milking etc. Maybe they need a way to enable DST in the cows' cron so
18 they want milking an hour later.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Top Oxymorons Number 24: New classic