From: Masood Ahmed <masood.ahmed09@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'buntu --> gentoo --> eeepc
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 18:34:29
1 maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Hi group,
4 >
5 > Using xubuntu on a usb stick to install gentoo on a eeepc, 4g,
6 > 900A. I've gotten as far as kernel config(Quick-install Guide ->
7 > Kernel Configuration) but when I try to emerge gentoo-sources portage
8 > can't resolve any of the addresses and the process fails.
9
10 Can you browse from your xubuntu? Looks like you are not connected to
11 internet. If you are able to browse from xubuntu, then copy the
12 /etc/resolv.conf file from xubuntu to gentoo partition:
13
14 cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
15
16 > Does it have something to do with the previous section, "Set your host
17 > name and domain name"? I followed the model given:
18 >
19 > hosts: 127.0.0.1 eeebox.at.eeeplace eeebox localhost
20 >
21 > hostname: HOSTNAME="eeebox"
22
23 Nope. Nothing to do with this.
24
25 > BTW, it took 22mins for the portage snapshot to be unpacked, is that
26 > similar to anybody else's experience?
27
28 22 mins is very long time. Generally stage3 tarball should take longer
29 than portage, probably have to do with the verbose flag of tar command
30 (it slows the process when using a slow terminal).
31
32 > BTW2, I'm using dialup via a serial/usb cable to complete the job at
33 > home, whereas the stage3-i686-20090422 and portage-20090502 were
34 > downloaded over wireless at the Wifi-Cafe. Don't tell me the numbers
35 > must match exactly!
36
37 No the numbers don't matter.
38
39 Regards,
40 Masood Ahmed
43 Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
44 -- (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)