From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vixie-cron keeps stopping
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:29:18
1 On Saturday 17 April 2010 10:47:15 Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 16 April 2010 22:25:47 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Friday 16 April 2010 20:29:27 Dale wrote:
4 > > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > > > On Thursday 15 April 2010 02:58:15 Matt Harrison wrote:
6 > > > >> I apologise if this has come twice, it didn't appear to post
7 > > > >> correctly first time, not even on the archives.
8 > > > >>
9 > > > >> Its been happening for a while but I haven't got round to find out
10 > > > >> why, but every so often (anything between a week or an hour)
11 > > > >> vixie-cron just stops. There's nothing in the logs, the service just
12 > > > >> stops.
13 > > > >>
14 > > > >> I have no idea where to start looking for a culprit so I'm hoping
15 > > > >> someone here has some good ideas :)
16 > > > >>
17 > > > >> thanks in advance
18 > > > >>
19 > > > >> Matt
20 > > > >
21 > > > > You probably don't want to hear this, but:
22 > > > >
23 > > > > vixie-cron is problematic in the extreme. I have endless hassle with
24 > > > > it's weird behaviours.
25 > > > >
26 > > > > Use a different cron daemon.
27 > > >
28 > > > I am using vixie as well. It was in the install guide many years ago.
29 > > > What all would have to be changed to switch to fcron? I think some
30 > > > packages "detect" which cron you have installed and put things in the
31 > > > proper place for cron jobs to run. I could be wrong on that since it
32 > > > has been a while since I noticed packages doing this.
33 > >
34 > > emerge -C vixie-cron && emerge <other cron of your choice>
35 > >
36 > > You might have to tweak crontabs.
37 > >
38 > > I have come to detest with a passion every piece of software written or
39 > > inspired by Paul Vixie. It took 10-15 years to get bind into a shape
40 > > where
41 > >
42 > > it takes less than 20 minutes to start here, it's low, buggy and
43 > > performance is pathetic. dhcp is just way too complex for my liking, ...
44 > >
45 > > ... and as for vixie-cron: When software doesn't act like it's supposed
46 > > to, breaks in horrible ways without giving me any clue (like, "cron
47 > > restart"
48 > >
49 > > works with no known init scripts on any platform I have) and instead
50 > > says "cron restarted [OK]", which brings down 5000 Cisco devices as as
51 > > a nasty side effect, and causes a Severity 0 committee to be called,
52 > > twice, then that software's remaining life span on my boxes is measured
53 > > in
54 > > milliseconds :-)
55 > >
56 > > rant over
57 >
58 > Blimey! That sounds like horribly_broken!
59 >
60 > Which cron do you recommend for a desktop?
61
62 Strangely enough, I'd tell folk to use vixie-cron if it's already working for
63 them and they know it. I don't see the point in advising someone to switch a
64 package that is working well for them and doing it's job.
65
66 Most folk let cron be installed then they never touch it again, or add at most
67 a few entries. Everything they need or want to be done is covered with the
68 default /etc/cron.*/*. Why change it? Besides, they know how to work vixie-
69 cron.
70
71 But if they are run into problems or weird errors (like the OP where the thing
72 just dies), then fcron is good.
76 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com