From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vixie-cron keeps stopping
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:48:43
1 On Friday 16 April 2010 22:25:47 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 16 April 2010 20:29:27 Dale wrote:
3 > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > > On Thursday 15 April 2010 02:58:15 Matt Harrison wrote:
5 > > >> I apologise if this has come twice, it didn't appear to post correctly
6 > > >> first time, not even on the archives.
7 > > >>
8 > > >> Its been happening for a while but I haven't got round to find out
9 > > >> why, but every so often (anything between a week or an hour)
10 > > >> vixie-cron just stops. There's nothing in the logs, the service just
11 > > >> stops.
12 > > >>
13 > > >> I have no idea where to start looking for a culprit so I'm hoping
14 > > >> someone here has some good ideas :)
15 > > >>
16 > > >> thanks in advance
17 > > >>
18 > > >> Matt
19 > > >
20 > > > You probably don't want to hear this, but:
21 > > >
22 > > > vixie-cron is problematic in the extreme. I have endless hassle with
23 > > > it's weird behaviours.
24 > > >
25 > > > Use a different cron daemon.
26 > >
27 > > I am using vixie as well. It was in the install guide many years ago.
28 > > What all would have to be changed to switch to fcron? I think some
29 > > packages "detect" which cron you have installed and put things in the
30 > > proper place for cron jobs to run. I could be wrong on that since it
31 > > has been a while since I noticed packages doing this.
32 >
33 > emerge -C vixie-cron && emerge <other cron of your choice>
34 >
35 > You might have to tweak crontabs.
36 >
37 > I have come to detest with a passion every piece of software written or
38 > inspired by Paul Vixie. It took 10-15 years to get bind into a shape where
39 > it takes less than 20 minutes to start here, it's low, buggy and
40 > performance is pathetic. dhcp is just way too complex for my liking, ...
41 >
42 > ... and as for vixie-cron: When software doesn't act like it's supposed to,
43 > breaks in horrible ways without giving me any clue (like, "cron restart"
44 > works with no known init scripts on any platform I have) and instead says
45 > "cron restarted [OK]", which brings down 5000 Cisco devices as as a nasty
46 > side effect, and causes a Severity 0 committee to be called, twice, then
47 > that software's remaining life span on my boxes is measured in
48 > milliseconds :-)
49 >
50 > rant over
51
52 Blimey! That sounds like horribly_broken!
53
54 Which cron do you recommend for a desktop?
57 Regards,
58 Mick