From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vixie-cron keeps stopping
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:30:22
1 On Friday 16 April 2010 20:29:27 Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 15 April 2010 02:58:15 Matt Harrison wrote:
4 > >> I apologise if this has come twice, it didn't appear to post correctly
5 > >> first time, not even on the archives.
6 > >>
7 > >> Its been happening for a while but I haven't got round to find out why,
8 > >> but every so often (anything between a week or an hour) vixie-cron just
9 > >> stops. There's nothing in the logs, the service just stops.
10 > >>
11 > >> I have no idea where to start looking for a culprit so I'm hoping
12 > >> someone here has some good ideas :)
13 > >>
14 > >> thanks in advance
15 > >>
16 > >> Matt
17 > >
18 > > You probably don't want to hear this, but:
19 > >
20 > > vixie-cron is problematic in the extreme. I have endless hassle with it's
21 > > weird behaviours.
22 > >
23 > > Use a different cron daemon.
24 >
25 > I am using vixie as well. It was in the install guide many years ago.
26 > What all would have to be changed to switch to fcron? I think some
27 > packages "detect" which cron you have installed and put things in the
28 > proper place for cron jobs to run. I could be wrong on that since it
29 > has been a while since I noticed packages doing this.
32 emerge -C vixie-cron && emerge <other cron of your choice>
33
34 You might have to tweak crontabs.
35
36 I have come to detest with a passion every piece of software written or
37 inspired by Paul Vixie. It took 10-15 years to get bind into a shape where it
38 takes less than 20 minutes to start here, it's low, buggy and performance is
39 pathetic. dhcp is just way too complex for my liking, ...
40
41 ... and as for vixie-cron: When software doesn't act like it's supposed to,
42 breaks in horrible ways without giving me any clue (like, "cron restart" works
43 with no known init scripts on any platform I have) and instead says "cron
44 restarted [OK]", which brings down 5000 Cisco devices as as a nasty side
45 effect, and causes a Severity 0 committee to be called, twice, then that
46 software's remaining life span on my boxes is measured in milliseconds :-)
47
48 rant over
51 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com