From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vixie-cron keeps stopping
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 18:30:09
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 15 April 2010 02:58:15 Matt Harrison wrote:
3 >
4 >> I apologise if this has come twice, it didn't appear to post correctly
5 >> first time, not even on the archives.
6 >>
7 >> Its been happening for a while but I haven't got round to find out why, but
8 >> every so often (anything between a week or an hour) vixie-cron just stops.
9 >> There's nothing in the logs, the service just stops.
10 >>
11 >> I have no idea where to start looking for a culprit so I'm hoping someone
12 >> here has some good ideas :)
13 >>
14 >> thanks in advance
15 >>
16 >> Matt
17 >>
18 > You probably don't want to hear this, but:
19 >
20 > vixie-cron is problematic in the extreme. I have endless hassle with it's
21 > weird behaviours.
22 >
23 > Use a different cron daemon.
27 I am using vixie as well. It was in the install guide many years ago.
28 What all would have to be changed to switch to fcron? I think some
29 packages "detect" which cron you have installed and put things in the
30 proper place for cron jobs to run. I could be wrong on that since it
31 has been a while since I noticed packages doing this.
32
33 Dale
34