From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Calm
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 09:24:15
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Saturday, April 16, 2016 07:07:16 PM Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I was thinking fence post but we have the same idea. ;-)
5 > You're referring to a LART?
6 > http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LART
9 That's the one. ROFL
12 > Actually, I think the only info I got from it was that I had to switch
13 > to sddm and emerge the plasma package. Since I have a mix of stable and
14 > unstable here, it went down a whole new path after that. I had hard
15 > blockers, other packages that had to be keyworded and to change some USE
16 > flags as well. If I was running stable only, then the guide would
17 > likely have worked step by step. It did give the basic info that I
18 > needed even tho I was running a install that was different.
19 > It also gave some commands on how to find packages you'd need to temporarily
20 > remove from the world-file.
21
22 Hmmm, I didn't have to do that. The biggest blocker I had was because
23 of a entry in one of the package.* files. I can't recall what it was
24 now tho. I think I just commented it out completely and then emerge was
25 much happier.
26
27 As we know, running a mixed system is sometimes harder than running
28 either all stable or all unstable. I'm sure it ticks off emerge too. ;-)
31 >> That is what I was talking about. Many years ago, even thinking you
32 >> could do a emerge -e world of that many packages without at least a
33 >> dozen failures of some kind would be nuts. I'm talking rooms with
34 >> rubber walls nuts too. Actually, if I had not forgot to keyword that
35 >> new version, it would have worked. That version had already failed and
36 >> I should have done the keyword change first. So really, it was my fault.
37 > Not removing failing versions.... Like to life dangerously?
38
39 Well, I think it wouldn't build because another package was at a version
40 that package didn't like and it tried to build on that. Basically,
41 there was a couple packages in sort of a mismatch.
42
43 >> The longest uptime I have ever had was running Gentoo. If it wasn't
44 >> for power failures, I may not ever reboot this thing. lol
45 > Same here, but I tend to reboot only for kernel upgrades. Power failures don't
46 > happen that much here.
47 >
48 > --
49 > Joost
53 We used to have frequent power outages. If it was windy, lights out.
54 If it was raining and windy, certainly lights out then. A few years
55 ago, they replaced a whole section of power lines that went about 10
56 miles. It went from the substation almost to the road I live on which
57 is where they kept having trouble. I think what it was doing is the wind
58 or rain would weigh the lines down and they were so old and weak, they
59 broke. Oddly tho, winter didn't seem to bother them as much as summer.
60 Since they replaced that large section of lines, they may blink at times
61 but that's about it. Also, they cleared out a LOT of trees that was
62 around the lines too. They do that every few years tho.
63
64 Yea, I live out in the sticks. We hunt, fish, grow a garden etc out
65 here. If I don't get some sleep, I won't be able to work on that
66 tractor when the sun pops up in a few hours either. It needs a new
67 clutch.
68
69 Dale
70