From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Calm
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 08:55:15
1 On Saturday, April 16, 2016 07:07:16 PM Dale wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Saturday, April 16, 2016 11:25:23 AM Dale wrote:
4 > >> Top posting since John started it. lol
5 > >
6 > > Refusing to top-post, even when others do...
7 > > Makes for even more fun to trace the conversations...
8 > >
9 > >> Can you two explain this to Alan Grimes? He seems to think emerge has
10 > >> some very serious problems. ;-)
11 > >
12 > > Trying to explain it to him will be as useful as discussing science with
13 > > members of the Westboro Baptist Church or similar....
14 >
15 > I was thinking fence post but we have the same idea. ;-)
16
17 You're referring to a LART?
18 http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LART
19
20 > >> I might add, I recently went through the KDE plasma update which
21 > >> involved a ton of rebuilds/upgrades. Since I run a mix of stable and
22 > >> unstable, it took some effort to get it all sorted BUT emerge did a
23 > >> pretty good job of telling me what was needed. Once I got the proper
24 > >> things in the keyword and USE file, it was off to compile land for
25 > >> several hours. I might add, I had to use some of Alan McKinnion's logic
26 > >> to understand emerge's output.
27 > >
28 > > Aside from that, the upgrade guide was a very useful step-by-step guide to
29 > > avoid any blockers during the upgrade.
30 >
31 > Actually, I think the only info I got from it was that I had to switch
32 > to sddm and emerge the plasma package. Since I have a mix of stable and
33 > unstable here, it went down a whole new path after that. I had hard
34 > blockers, other packages that had to be keyworded and to change some USE
35 > flags as well. If I was running stable only, then the guide would
36 > likely have worked step by step. It did give the basic info that I
37 > needed even tho I was running a install that was different.
38
39 It also gave some commands on how to find packages you'd need to temporarily
40 remove from the world-file.
41
42 > The big point tho, emerge did a pretty darn good job of dropping bread
43 > crumbs on what needed changing. On a couple occasions, it took me a few
44 > reads to grasp what it was saying but it was there and I was able to
45 > figure it out. So, unlike Alan G and his problems, emerge did a good job.
46 >
47 > >> I might add, I also recently did a emerge -e world. Out of all the over
48 > >> 1,400 packages installed on this machine, only one failed. I can't
49 > >> recall the package name but I seem to recall keywording to a newer
50 > >> version and that worked. Still, 1 out of over 1400 packages. That's
51 > >> pretty dang good. About 99.9% success. Almost like 24 caret gold.
52 > >
53 > > 1 out of 1400 is, in my opinion, 1 too many.
54 > > But compared to the likely 400 you'd have had about 5 or 6 years ago, I am
55 > > extremely pleased.
56 >
57 > That is what I was talking about. Many years ago, even thinking you
58 > could do a emerge -e world of that many packages without at least a
59 > dozen failures of some kind would be nuts. I'm talking rooms with
60 > rubber walls nuts too. Actually, if I had not forgot to keyword that
61 > new version, it would have worked. That version had already failed and
62 > I should have done the keyword change first. So really, it was my fault.
63
64 Not removing failing versions.... Like to life dangerously?
65
66 > >> It seems you two are not alone on being some happy Gentooers. :-D
67 > >
68 > > Count me there as well.
69 > > I have long passed the point where I will accept bad and unreliable
70 > > systems
71 > > when I can help it.
72 >
73 > The longest uptime I have ever had was running Gentoo. If it wasn't for
74 > power failures, I may not ever reboot this thing. lol
75
76 Same here, but I tend to reboot only for kernel upgrades. Power failures don't
77 happen that much here.
80 Joost