From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Calm
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 00:07:30
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Saturday, April 16, 2016 11:25:23 AM Dale wrote:
3 >> Top posting since John started it. lol
4 > Refusing to top-post, even when others do...
5 > Makes for even more fun to trace the conversations...
6 >
7 >> Can you two explain this to Alan Grimes? He seems to think emerge has
8 >> some very serious problems. ;-)
9 > Trying to explain it to him will be as useful as discussing science with
10 > members of the Westboro Baptist Church or similar....
13 I was thinking fence post but we have the same idea. ;-)
16 >> I might add, I recently went through the KDE plasma update which
17 >> involved a ton of rebuilds/upgrades. Since I run a mix of stable and
18 >> unstable, it took some effort to get it all sorted BUT emerge did a
19 >> pretty good job of telling me what was needed. Once I got the proper
20 >> things in the keyword and USE file, it was off to compile land for
21 >> several hours. I might add, I had to use some of Alan McKinnion's logic
22 >> to understand emerge's output.
23 > Aside from that, the upgrade guide was a very useful step-by-step guide to
24 > avoid any blockers during the upgrade.
28 Actually, I think the only info I got from it was that I had to switch
29 to sddm and emerge the plasma package. Since I have a mix of stable and
30 unstable here, it went down a whole new path after that. I had hard
31 blockers, other packages that had to be keyworded and to change some USE
32 flags as well. If I was running stable only, then the guide would
33 likely have worked step by step. It did give the basic info that I
34 needed even tho I was running a install that was different.
35
36 The big point tho, emerge did a pretty darn good job of dropping bread
37 crumbs on what needed changing. On a couple occasions, it took me a few
38 reads to grasp what it was saying but it was there and I was able to
39 figure it out. So, unlike Alan G and his problems, emerge did a good job.
42 >> I might add, I also recently did a emerge -e world. Out of all the over
43 >> 1,400 packages installed on this machine, only one failed. I can't
44 >> recall the package name but I seem to recall keywording to a newer
45 >> version and that worked. Still, 1 out of over 1400 packages. That's
46 >> pretty dang good. About 99.9% success. Almost like 24 caret gold.
47 > 1 out of 1400 is, in my opinion, 1 too many.
48 > But compared to the likely 400 you'd have had about 5 or 6 years ago, I am
49 > extremely pleased.
52 That is what I was talking about. Many years ago, even thinking you
53 could do a emerge -e world of that many packages without at least a
54 dozen failures of some kind would be nuts. I'm talking rooms with
55 rubber walls nuts too. Actually, if I had not forgot to keyword that
56 new version, it would have worked. That version had already failed and
57 I should have done the keyword change first. So really, it was my fault.
60 >> It seems you two are not alone on being some happy Gentooers. :-D
61 > Count me there as well.
62 > I have long passed the point where I will accept bad and unreliable systems
63 > when I can help it.
67 The longest uptime I have ever had was running Gentoo. If it wasn't for
68 power failures, I may not ever reboot this thing. lol
69
70 Dale
71