From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [off-topic] - can /var be placed in a separate partition?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:32:04
1 On Tuesday, September 13, 2011 03:23:45 PM Daniel Troeder wrote:
2 > On 09/12/2011 01:53 AM, Alex Schuster wrote:
3 > > Francisco Ares writes:
4 > >> Is it possible to have /var in a separate partition, mounted during
5 > >> boot?
6 > >
7 > > This is very common. The advantage is that a process filling up the /var
8 > > directory (which is bad) will not fill the root partition (which would
9 > > be
10 > > worse).
11 >
12 > Just wanted to throw in, that on servers I also create a separate
13 > /var/log partition. Reasoning: If your logs fill up /var, than for ex.
14 > mysql won't be able to write anymore. So to decouple systems and
15 > problems even further I have /var and /var/log on separate partitions,
16 > hoping for higher service availability.
17
18 I actually have seperate partitions for the databases (Postgresql, OpenLdap,
19 cyrus,...) to avoid any service interfering with any other.
20
21 But the more seperate partitions someone has, the more of a problem this
22 change is going to be.
23 I have yet to find a filesystem that is optimal for all use-cases.
26 Joost