From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [off-topic] - can /var be placed in a separate partition?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:25:24
1 On 09/12/2011 01:53 AM, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Francisco Ares writes:
3 >> Is it possible to have /var in a separate partition, mounted during
4 >> boot?
5 > This is very common. The advantage is that a process filling up the /var
6 > directory (which is bad) will not fill the root partition (which would be
7 > worse).
8 Just wanted to throw in, that on servers I also create a separate
9 /var/log partition. Reasoning: If your logs fill up /var, than for ex.
10 mysql won't be able to write anymore. So to decouple systems and
11 problems even further I have /var and /var/log on separate partitions,
12 hoping for higher service availability.
13
14 Daniel