From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM: Removing 3 disks and replacing with 1
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 17:32:20
1 On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 16:32:56 +0000, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > > … I initially want to replace the 3x1TBs with a single 3TB drive but
4 > > i've never removed/replaced a drive in an LVM setup before. I think I
5 > > understand how it is done, using pvmove …
6 >
7 > Or you could just format and mount the new drive and use `cp`.
8
9 Thereby instantly removing the benefits of LVM and making it almost
10 impossible to extend the space by adding another drive when needed.
11
12 To the OP, pvmove is perfectly safe as it does a copy;verify;delete on
13 one small block of extents at a time. It also ensures that any new writes
14 while pvmove is running go to the new drive, so you can still use the
15 system while moving (try doing that with cp :).
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Interchangeable parts aren't.