From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM: Removing 3 disks and replacing with 1
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 18:37:01
1 On 6 March 2012, at 17:25, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 16:32:56 +0000, Stroller wrote:
4 >
5 >>> … I initially want to replace the 3x1TBs with a single 3TB drive but
6 >>> i've never removed/replaced a drive in an LVM setup before. I think I
7 >>> understand how it is done, using pvmove …
8 >>
9 >> Or you could just format and mount the new drive and use `cp`.
10 >
11 > Thereby instantly removing the benefits of LVM and making it almost
12 > impossible to extend the space by adding another drive when needed.
13
14 Uh, why not create a new volume group with the new disk?
15
16 OP says he wants to *replace* the old disks.
17
18 Admittedly, I don't like the RAID0 nature of LVM, so my question probably did reflect that cynicism.
19
20 > To the OP, pvmove is perfectly safe as it does a copy;verify;delete on
21 > one small block of extents at a time.
22
23 Yeah, I actually have quite a bit of confidence that migrating entirely in LVM would work just fine, but my qualifications in this area are quite minimal.
24
25 I am glad, however, to have generated some responses to OP's question, which had been languishing for c 8 hours without replies when I commented.
26
27 Stroller.