From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM: Removing 3 disks and replacing with 1
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 18:48:27
1 On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 6 March 2012, at 17:25, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 16:32:56 +0000, Stroller wrote:
6 >>
7 >>>> … I initially want to replace the 3x1TBs with a single 3TB drive but
8 >>>> i've never removed/replaced a drive in an LVM setup before. I think I
9 >>>> understand how it is done, using pvmove …
10 >>>
11 >>> Or you could just format and mount the new drive and use `cp`.
12 >>
13 >> Thereby instantly removing the benefits of LVM and making it almost
14 >> impossible to extend the space by adding another drive when needed.
15 >
16 > Uh, why not create a new volume group with the new disk?
17 >
18 > OP says he wants to *replace* the old disks.
19
20 Makes a certain amount of sense. But it sounds like he found a tool
21 (pvmove) to do what he needs to do, and trying to do more on top
22 complicates things beyond what they need to be.
26 > Admittedly, I don't like the RAID0 nature of LVM, so my question probably did reflect that cynicism.
27
28 I typically put LVM on top of RAID.
32 :wq