From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Quick check on net-print/hplip-3.14.10
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:37:13
1 On Thursday 17 Sep 2015 08:12:56 Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 16 Sep 2015 23:43:51 Dale wrote:
4 > >> Mick wrote:
5 > >>> Hi All,
6 > >>>
7 > >>> I just noticed that the driver for my old printer no longer shows up in
8 > >>> cups, on one of my PCs. Comparison with other PCs shows that this one
9 > >>> does *not* have the hpijs USE set.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> Could someone who also does not have hpijs set in their hplip tell me
12 > >>> if the HP DeskJet 930C selection is missing, when they load up the GUI
13 > >>> via https://127.0.0.1:631 and then try to modify a printer?
14 > >>>
15 > >>> Until this week there wasn't a problem with this PC so I am not sure
16 > >>> what changed ...
17 > >>>
18 > >>> I've set it up with DeskJet 932c for now without USE=hpijs and it seems
19 > >>> to work, so I am in two minds if I need hpijs or if I need to use the
20 > >>> 930c driver anyway.
21 > >>
22 > >> I was going to try and test this. I try to help when ever I can. Thing
23 > >> is, the way CUPS works here, you have to have the printer connected to
24 > >> set it up. I can't find a option to set up a printer that is not
25 > >> connected during the set up process. Maybe I am missing something. o_O
26 > >>
27 > >> Maybe someone else who has that printer can test it. We hope.
28 > >>
29 > >> Dale
30 > >>
31 > >> :-) :-)
32 > >
33 > > Thank you Dale,
34 > >
35 > > You don't have to complete the setup of the printer. Just select Modify
36 > > printer and 'try' to change its driver from the dropdown selection. You
37 > > don't need to actually change it - just look in there if DeskJet 930c is
38 > > listed. Assuming of course that your hplip was compiled with
39 > > USE="-hpijs".
40 > >
41 > > My 930C is a USB printer, but I have a little ethernet to USB printer
42 > > server that I access it through. This is a monodirectional lpd server,
43 > > so all the hplip GUI to report printer status is not working. It
44 > > doesn't bother me as printing is a rare occasion and all users know what
45 > > to do if it runs out of ink.
46 > >
47 > > Printing was all working fine on this PC until a couple of days ago, so I
48 > > wonder if I removed something in /etc/portage/* to cause this ...
49 >
50 > I get the same option just trying to modify my current printer. It
51 > doesn't list anything, it just shows the printer I currently have set
52 > up. Even if I tell it I want to add another printer, it still shows my
53 > current printer. I can't find a way to get it to list them. Maybe it
54 > is a setting somewhere that I have that makes mine work different.
55 >
56 > Dale
57 >
59
60 OK, I managed to get 10 minutes access to the offending box and I remerged
61 hplip. Guess what? The 930c driver re-appeared on the list. So I am now
62 doubly paranoid that the btrfs is playing up ...
65 Regards,
66 Mick