From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Quick check on net-print/hplip-3.14.10
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 19:26:30
1 On 17/09/2015 19:36, Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 17 Sep 2015 08:12:56 Dale wrote:
3 >> Mick wrote:
4 >>> On Wednesday 16 Sep 2015 23:43:51 Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Mick wrote:
6 >>>>> Hi All,
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> I just noticed that the driver for my old printer no longer shows up in
9 >>>>> cups, on one of my PCs. Comparison with other PCs shows that this one
10 >>>>> does *not* have the hpijs USE set.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> Could someone who also does not have hpijs set in their hplip tell me
13 >>>>> if the HP DeskJet 930C selection is missing, when they load up the GUI
14 >>>>> via https://127.0.0.1:631 and then try to modify a printer?
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>> Until this week there wasn't a problem with this PC so I am not sure
17 >>>>> what changed ...
18 >>>>>
19 >>>>> I've set it up with DeskJet 932c for now without USE=hpijs and it seems
20 >>>>> to work, so I am in two minds if I need hpijs or if I need to use the
21 >>>>> 930c driver anyway.
22 >>>>
23 >>>> I was going to try and test this. I try to help when ever I can. Thing
24 >>>> is, the way CUPS works here, you have to have the printer connected to
25 >>>> set it up. I can't find a option to set up a printer that is not
26 >>>> connected during the set up process. Maybe I am missing something. o_O
27 >>>>
28 >>>> Maybe someone else who has that printer can test it. We hope.
29 >>>>
30 >>>> Dale
31 >>>>
32 >>>> :-) :-)
33 >>>
34 >>> Thank you Dale,
35 >>>
36 >>> You don't have to complete the setup of the printer. Just select Modify
37 >>> printer and 'try' to change its driver from the dropdown selection. You
38 >>> don't need to actually change it - just look in there if DeskJet 930c is
39 >>> listed. Assuming of course that your hplip was compiled with
40 >>> USE="-hpijs".
41 >>>
42 >>> My 930C is a USB printer, but I have a little ethernet to USB printer
43 >>> server that I access it through. This is a monodirectional lpd server,
44 >>> so all the hplip GUI to report printer status is not working. It
45 >>> doesn't bother me as printing is a rare occasion and all users know what
46 >>> to do if it runs out of ink.
47 >>>
48 >>> Printing was all working fine on this PC until a couple of days ago, so I
49 >>> wonder if I removed something in /etc/portage/* to cause this ...
50 >>
51 >> I get the same option just trying to modify my current printer. It
52 >> doesn't list anything, it just shows the printer I currently have set
53 >> up. Even if I tell it I want to add another printer, it still shows my
54 >> current printer. I can't find a way to get it to list them. Maybe it
55 >> is a setting somewhere that I have that makes mine work different.
56 >>
57 >> Dale
58 >>
59 >> :-) :-)
60 >
61 > OK, I managed to get 10 minutes access to the offending box and I remerged
62 > hplip. Guess what? The 930c driver re-appeared on the list. So I am now
63 > doubly paranoid that the btrfs is playing up ...
66 Or, someone deleted the ppd and the re-emerge put it back :-)
67
68 As the saying goes "never ascribe to malice what is adequately explained
69 by stupidity"
73 Alan McKinnon
74 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com