From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia-drivers wants static-libs, I do not.
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 13:12:32
1 Arve Barsnes wrote:
2 > On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 at 09:43, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
4 >> (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
5 >> # required by sci-libs/vtk-9.0.3-r4::gentoo[video_cards_nvidia]
6 >> # required by sci-libs/opencascade-7.5.2-r5::gentoo[vtk]
7 >> # required by sci-electronics/kicad-5.1.12-r2::gentoo[occ]
8 >> # required by sci-electronics/kicad-packages3d-5.1.12-r1::gentoo
9 >> # required by sci-electronics/kicad-meta-5.1.12::gentoo[-minimal]
10 >> # required by @selected
11 >> # required by @world (argument)
12 >>> =x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-470.103.01 static-libs
13 >> Would you like to add these changes to your config files? [Yes/No]
16 >> I'm not sure if the boost output is related or not. I did read
17 >> somewhere that opencascade is replacing oce. From the above, I suspect
18 >> vtk and/or opencascade is causing this. That may be related but dang if
19 >> I can figure out a way around this. Anyone else run into this and find
20 >> a fix or see something I'm missing?
21 > I don't know how this would impact functionality, but it looks like
22 > you could avoid this by setting USE on sci-libs/vtk to
23 > "-video_cards_nvidia". The cuda USE flag requires this, but that is
24 > already disabled for you.
25 >
26 > Regards,
27 > Arve
31 Oh thank you for that hint.  I thought that was coming from make.conf
32 that I had a nvidia video card as opposed to a ATI or something.  No
33 idea I could disable it since it was just a USE flag.  Changing that got
34 me out of the static-libs USE flag demand.
35
36 Now I'm having issues with hdf5 and flann.  I think this is like the
37 harfbuzz circle people run into.  I ended up removing packages that are
38 not absolutely needed in order to get it to give me a clean path.  I
39 plan to add those packages back to the world file once this emerge is
40 done and see if it emerges those back without problems.  In case someone
41 else runs into this problem, even tho this thread wasn't exactly about
42 this, this is what I had to remove from the world file.
45 dev-libs/boost
46 sci-electronics/kicad-meta
47 media-gfx/digikam
50 I suspect Kicad is not used by most but removing digikam seemed to be
51 the one that opened the door to a clear path for emerge.  That package
52 is commonly used.  So, that info may help if a person runs into this.
53 I'm not sure what if any effect boost had.  It may be worth not removing
54 it unless others fail to give a clear path.
55
56 Thanks again for the help.  I saw it but didn't realize its meaning.
57 You did.
58
59 Dale
60