From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updates = slow firefox
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:38:49
1 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > On 4/23/2010 1:37 PM, Grant wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> Can anyone confirm that as users we should be moving away from hal?
5 >>>>
6 >>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml
7 >>> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/XorgHAL
8 >>>
9 >> OK, and since xorg-server-1.7 doesn't have a udev USE flag, I should
10 >> probably stick with hal until 1.8. Please let me know if that isn't
11 >> the case. I'm on udev-149.
12 >>
13 > If HAL is working for you, stick with it. If not, turn it off. Xorg
14 > 1.7 works equally well with or without HAL. The main difference is how
15 > much manually configuration you need to do.
16 >
17 > The relative stability of using/not using udev with Xorg 1.8 have yet to
18 > determined.
19 >
20 > :)
21 >
22 > --Mike
27 Even tho I'm not much on hal, if it works, use it. If it is not
28 working, then switch to udev, back to having a xorg.conf file or
29 whatever else will work for you.
30
31 Sometimes it just depends on your hardware. Some systems like one
32 software package to manage things and another system will work better
33 with something else. You just have to find one that works and stick
34 with it.
35
36 Dale
37