From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Disappointing USB3 performance
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:43:12
1 On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 2011-10-24, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >> Am 24.10.2011 22:02, schrieb Grant Edwards:
5 >>> On 2011-10-24, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> I just bought an add-on USB3 adapter and outboard USB3/sata docking
8 >>>> station, and I've been comparing the performance with my old e-sata
9 >>>> outboard docking station.  Not so good :(
10 >>>>
11 >>>> After getting some unreliable results with hdparm, I settled on
12 >>>> copying one 3GB file from one partition of the outboard drive to
13 >>>> another partition of the same drive.  These results are highly
14 >>>> reproducible, and favor e-sata over USB3 by a large margin.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> Over at least six trials on each docking station I consistently get
17 >>>> 105 seconds for USB and 84 seconds for e-sata, a 5:4 ratio in favor
18 >>>> of e-sata.
19 >>>
20 >>> Not surprising.  Did you expect that adding a gateway device to the
21 >>> communication path and another protocol layer on top of SATA would
22 >>> make things faster?
23 >>>
24 >>>> I used the same hard disk and the same pci-e slot in the same
25 >>>> minimally-loaded machine for all the runs, and got very consistent
26 >>>> results every time.
27 >>>>
28 >>>> Basically, the USB3/sata docking station gets the same throughput as
29 >>>> the older sata 1 drives connected to the onboard pci sata controller,
30 >>>> which is still pretty respectable for an outboard drive, I think.
31 >>>
32 >>> Yep, SATA performs the same as SATA. AFAIK, eSATA and SATA are
33 >>> identical apart from the physical specs for the connector, a few minor
34 >>> voltage level differences (to imporove noise tolerance), and hot-plug
35 >>> support.
36 >>
37 >> Normal SATA also offers hotplug. Usually works, too.
38 >
39 > I read somewhere that not all controllers support hotplug on
40 > "internal" connectors, but I can't personally attest to having found
41 > one that didn't.
42 >
43 >>>> So, has anyone out there done similar tests on USB3 drives yet?
44 >>>
45 >>> There are disk drives that talk USB3 natively and aren't just using
46 >>> USB<->SATA gateways?
47 >>
48 >> Well, there is USB Attached SCSI (CONFIG_USB_UAS in the kernel). It
49 >> supports command queuing and works for USB-2.0 and 3.0 (but has
50 >> additional software overhead for USB-2.0). I've not yet seen a
51 >> compatible device, though.
52 >
53 > Interesting.  Is USB3 peer to peer like SCSI and Firewire, or is it
54 > the same master/slave poll/response scheme that has always crippled
55 > USB?  Doing SCSI via a poll/response transport protocol seems like it
56 > would lose most of the advantages of SCSI.
57
58 IIRC USB3 is interrupt-driven instead of constantly polling the device.