From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Disappointing USB3 performance
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:33:10
1 On 2011-10-24, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Am 24.10.2011 22:02, schrieb Grant Edwards:
3 >> On 2011-10-24, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I just bought an add-on USB3 adapter and outboard USB3/sata docking
6 >>> station, and I've been comparing the performance with my old e-sata
7 >>> outboard docking station. Not so good :(
8 >>>
9 >>> After getting some unreliable results with hdparm, I settled on
10 >>> copying one 3GB file from one partition of the outboard drive to
11 >>> another partition of the same drive. These results are highly
12 >>> reproducible, and favor e-sata over USB3 by a large margin.
13 >>>
14 >>> Over at least six trials on each docking station I consistently get
15 >>> 105 seconds for USB and 84 seconds for e-sata, a 5:4 ratio in favor
16 >>> of e-sata.
17 >>
18 >> Not surprising. Did you expect that adding a gateway device to the
19 >> communication path and another protocol layer on top of SATA would
20 >> make things faster?
21 >>
22 >>> I used the same hard disk and the same pci-e slot in the same
23 >>> minimally-loaded machine for all the runs, and got very consistent
24 >>> results every time.
25 >>>
26 >>> Basically, the USB3/sata docking station gets the same throughput as
27 >>> the older sata 1 drives connected to the onboard pci sata controller,
28 >>> which is still pretty respectable for an outboard drive, I think.
29 >>
30 >> Yep, SATA performs the same as SATA. AFAIK, eSATA and SATA are
31 >> identical apart from the physical specs for the connector, a few minor
32 >> voltage level differences (to imporove noise tolerance), and hot-plug
33 >> support.
34 >
35 > Normal SATA also offers hotplug. Usually works, too.
36
37 I read somewhere that not all controllers support hotplug on
38 "internal" connectors, but I can't personally attest to having found
39 one that didn't.
40
41 >>> So, has anyone out there done similar tests on USB3 drives yet?
42 >>
43 >> There are disk drives that talk USB3 natively and aren't just using
44 >> USB<->SATA gateways?
45 >
46 > Well, there is USB Attached SCSI (CONFIG_USB_UAS in the kernel). It
47 > supports command queuing and works for USB-2.0 and 3.0 (but has
48 > additional software overhead for USB-2.0). I've not yet seen a
49 > compatible device, though.
50
51 Interesting. Is USB3 peer to peer like SCSI and Firewire, or is it
52 the same master/slave poll/response scheme that has always crippled
53 USB? Doing SCSI via a poll/response transport protocol seems like it
54 would lose most of the advantages of SCSI.
57 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! He is the MELBA-BEING
58 at ... the ANGEL CAKE
59 gmail.com ... XEROX him ... XEROX
60 him --