From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 09:09:14
1 On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 01:04:14 -0600
2 Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us> wrote:
3
4 > On 02/18/2014 12:14 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 > > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Andrew Savchenko
6 > > <bircoph@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:22:23 -0600 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
8 > >>>> Yet again, I respect ones right to use whatever one wants, but I
9 > >>>> ask to respect mine as well. That's why I propose a separate
10 > >>>> systemd profile for those willing to use it.
11 > >>>
12 > >>> Then write. Just be aware that to write a systemd profile, you
13 > >>> need to use systemd.
14 > >>
15 > >> Or to create a non-systemd profile :)
16 > >
17 > > That's the best response I've read in, like, many years. That's
18 > > perfect; I'm 100% behind it. I even volunteer to help (with testing)
19 > > to anyone going for this.
20 > >
21 > > You guys create a systemd-sucks-we-dont-want-it profile, and I
22 > > promise to give you guys a hand.
23 > >
24 > > Make a profile that "frees" users from using systemd, and I think
25 > > even several Gentoo developers will get behind that.
26 > >
27 > > Now we are talking; this has been my whole point the whole time.
28 > > Everybody that don't want to use systemd; help this idea, and if
29 > > there are enough of you, you'll pulled through.
30 > >
31 > > Regards.
34 > For such a profile to be legitimate, systemd would have to be chosen
35 > as the default. Gentoo is one of the last bastions of choice
36 > available to GNU/Linux users and it would create a complete shitstorm
37 > if systemd were pushed on Gentoo's users. You're just trying to push
38 > systemd on one of the few distros that doesn't use it by default. Do
39 > you hang out with John Paul Adrian Glaubitz? He's a Debian developer
40 > who has a long-running history of pushing systemd as well. There is
41 > nothing wrong with systemd as a choice, but to push it as the default
42 > is ridiculous. systemd can have its own profile while the rest of the
43 > world goes on without it. Everybody wins.
44 >
45 > For all this talk about technical details,
46 > nobody seems to notice the marketing
47
48 A few people including myself have noted it earlier.
49
50 > that's going on and frankly it disgusts me.
51
52 And me too.