From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal grub:2 install? [grub:0 being removed]
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 00:20:04
1 On 2019-01-17, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 6:15 PM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Do all the Gentoo package maintainers promise they'll never run
5 >> grub-mkconfig as part of a any package (even grub:2) install, remove,
6 >> or update?
7 >
8 > I doubt you'd get it in writing but I'd be shocked if they ever did.
9 > Gentoo doesn't install a kernel for you, so why would it go messing
10 > with grub?
11
12 Good point. :)
13
14 > You definitely can manually configure grub.conf for grub2, and it
15 > would basically work the same as grub legacy if you did so. The
16 > syntax is slightly different so you'll have to check on that, but it
17 > would basically consist of taking your old config file and just making
18 > a few syntax tweaks.
19
20 Yep, I've spent plenty of time editing grub2's grub.conf files.
21
22 > I do suggest at least giving grub-mkconfig a try though.
23
24 I've used it on plenty of other distros and didn't like it -- maybe
25 it's better on Gentoo...
26
27 > Basically grub2 is a completely inert package. The stuff in
28 > /usr/bin and so on doesn't do anything unless you explicitly run it.
29 > The bootloader reads its config file and does what it says, just
30 > like the old one. The bootloader won't even be there unless you
31 > explicitly install it, just as with the old grub.
32
33 OK, that sounds reasonable. I should have had more faith in the
34 Gentoo devs.
35
36 > The one issue you're going to have is finding documentation on the
37 > config file.
38
39 It's pretty well documented in the grub2 manual:
40
41 https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#Shell_002dlike-scripting
42 https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#Multi_002dboot-manual-config
43 https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#Environment
44 https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#Commands
45
46 The thing to keep in mind, is that grub.conf is more of a shell-script
47 than a config file. Amongh other things, you can define shell
48 functions that are attached to menu entries. Then, if execution falls
49 off the bottom of the script, that menu is executed and the selected
50 shell function executes.
51
52 IIRC, you don't actually _have_ to define a menu at all if you don't
53 want to, but that rather limits your options at boot time...
54
55 > There is a TON of docs on running mkconfig, and very little on
56 > rolling your own, but it definitely can be done.
57
58 Not a problem -- I know enough about the config file syntax to do
59 everything I need to do.
62 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! UH-OH!! I put on
63 at "GREAT HEAD-ON TRAIN
64 gmail.com COLLISIONS of the 50's"
65 by mistake!!!