From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal grub:2 install? [grub:0 being removed]
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 23:51:41
1 On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 6:15 PM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Do all the Gentoo package maintainers promise they'll never run
4 > grub-mkconfig as part of a any package (even grub:2) install, remove,
5 > or update?
8 I doubt you'd get it in writing but I'd be shocked if they ever did.
9 Gentoo doesn't install a kernel for you, so why would it go messing
10 with grub?
11
12 You definitely can manually configure grub.conf for grub2, and it
13 would basically work the same as grub legacy if you did so. The
14 syntax is slightly different so you'll have to check on that, but it
15 would basically consist of taking your old config file and just making
16 a few syntax tweaks.
17
18 I do suggest at least giving grub-mkconfig a try though. It does
19 depend on kernels/initramfs/etc using a standardized naming
20 convention. If you use make install to install your kernels you're
21 fine. If you go hand copying things then it won't. The one thing I
22 have noticed is that it doesn't always get ordering right if you go
23 messing around and creating kernels with suffixes on the filenames or
24 +'s on them. You can run grub-mkconfig and if you don't append -o to
25 the command line it just dumps the config file to stdout, so you can
26 see what it would do.
27
28 But, if you want to always have a vmlinux and vmlinux.old in your
29 /boot and just point grub to the one and then the other and never
30 touch it, that will work perfectly fine. The autogenerated configs
31 have a ton of scripting in them but a minimal one isn't really any
32 more complex than the old grub was.
33
34 Basically grub2 is a completely inert package. The stuff in /usr/bin
35 and so on doesn't do anything unless you explicitly run it. The
36 bootloader reads its config file and does what it says, just like the
37 old one. The bootloader won't even be there unless you explicitly
38 install it, just as with the old grub.
39
40 The one issue you're going to have is finding documentation on the
41 config file. There is a TON of docs on running mkconfig, and very
42 little on rolling your own, but it definitely can be done.
45 Rich