From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Get rid of PAM?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:47:55
1 On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 07:26:55AM -0700, Jerry Turba wrote:
2 > On another gentoo newsgroup I made a comment about deleting pam because I
3 > believed it was causing a problem with logins to KDE. I was severely
4
5 PAM has been known to cause pain and suffering at unexpected times.
6
7 > 1. Could someone explain why pam would not be needed? Is relying on
8 > permissions, passwords, and firewall adequate? Which problems may result
9 > for using pam?
10
11 PAM is "pluggable authentication module". It deals with passwords and
12 permissions. It is useful because it provides a unified framework for
13 dealing with such things, i.e., programs can do
14 authentications/permissions without worrying about the implementation.
15 With PAM, you can do cool tricks like implementing biometrics for an
16 entire system without having to resort to adding support for
17 biometrics for every single service.
18
19 With that said, if you are only running home computers with no
20 servers open to the outside world, you should only have a minimal
21 number of programs that use authentication: login, or perhaps an ssh
22 daemon that only opens to the intranet. You don't necessarily need
23 PAM.
24
25 The biggest problem I've heard is PAM creating a permissions hell in
26 /dev. But usually that's due to bad configuration between PAM and
27 udev. If done right, PAM shouldn't cause problems.
28
29 But, for me, I decided to remove PAM after the following happened:
30 One day, I ran emerge --update world. That included a PAM update.
31 Two nights later, a power failure in my dorm power cycled the
32 computer.
33 The morning the day after, I cannot login on the Console. For no
34 good reason whatsoever, console login always tells me it failed.
35 BUT... I can still ssh to my box and login correctly.
36 After some digging around in the logs, it seems that some things
37 moved around in the PAM world and one particular module was renamed
38 (or removed?). But one of the modules that used it, the one that is
39 called when I try to login on the console, was not updated. So
40 everytime I try to login, the module executes to the point where the
41 missing module is, craps out, and tells me I can't login.
42 For months after that, I was extremely careful whenever I update
43 ANYTHING that has to do with authentication, and ALWAYS checked the
44 PAM directories to make sure the modules are sane. Eventually I just
45 got rid of it altogether.
48 > 2. I already have pam installed. What is the cleanest way to remove it
49 > without having any residual hiccoughs.
50
51 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Remove_PAM
52
53 Follow it exactly. If you miss a step, you might have to whip out a
54 liveCD the next time your reboot to get into your systems.
55
56 The above link also contains a link to a thread on the forums
57 discussing the pros and cons of PAM. Though I think in this particular
58 thread the signal to noise ratio is rather low.
59
60 W
63 "Wouldn't it be cool if the physics department was replaced by muppets?"
64 "Yeah, and animal would teach death mech."
65 ~DeathMech, Some Student. P-town PHY 205
66 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 14 days, 20:19
67 --
68 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list