From: Jerry Turba <jturba@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Get rid of PAM?
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:54:57
1 Willie Wong wrote:
2
3 >On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 07:26:55AM -0700, Jerry Turba wrote:
6 >>On another gentoo newsgroup I made a comment about deleting pam because I
7 >>believed it was causing a problem with logins to KDE. I was severely
11 >PAM has been known to cause pain and suffering at unexpected times.
15 >>1. Could someone explain why pam would not be needed? Is relying on
16 >>permissions, passwords, and firewall adequate? Which problems may result
17 >>for using pam?
21 >PAM is "pluggable authentication module". It deals with passwords and
22 >permissions. It is useful because it provides a unified framework for
23 >dealing with such things, i.e., programs can do
24 >authentications/permissions without worrying about the implementation.
25 >With PAM, you can do cool tricks like implementing biometrics for an
26 >entire system without having to resort to adding support for
27 >biometrics for every single service.
28 >
29 >With that said, if you are only running home computers with no
30 >servers open to the outside world, you should only have a minimal
31 >number of programs that use authentication: login, or perhaps an ssh
32 >daemon that only opens to the intranet. You don't necessarily need
33 >PAM.
34 >
35 >The biggest problem I've heard is PAM creating a permissions hell in
36 >/dev. But usually that's due to bad configuration between PAM and
37 >udev. If done right, PAM shouldn't cause problems.
38 >
39 >But, for me, I decided to remove PAM after the following happened:
40 > One day, I ran emerge --update world. That included a PAM update.
41 > Two nights later, a power failure in my dorm power cycled the
42 > computer.
43 > The morning the day after, I cannot login on the Console. For no
44 > good reason whatsoever, console login always tells me it failed.
45 > BUT... I can still ssh to my box and login correctly.
46 > After some digging around in the logs, it seems that some things
47 > moved around in the PAM world and one particular module was renamed
48 > (or removed?). But one of the modules that used it, the one that is
49 > called when I try to login on the console, was not updated. So
50 > everytime I try to login, the module executes to the point where the
51 > missing module is, craps out, and tells me I can't login.
52 >For months after that, I was extremely careful whenever I update
53 >ANYTHING that has to do with authentication, and ALWAYS checked the
54 >PAM directories to make sure the modules are sane. Eventually I just
55 >got rid of it altogether.
59 >>2. I already have pam installed. What is the cleanest way to remove it
60 >>without having any residual hiccoughs.
64 >http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Remove_PAM
65 >
66 >Follow it exactly. If you miss a step, you might have to whip out a
67 >liveCD the next time your reboot to get into your systems.
68 >
69 >The above link also contains a link to a thread on the forums
70 >discussing the pros and cons of PAM. Though I think in this particular
71 >thread the signal to noise ratio is rather low.
72 >
73 >W
77 Thanks Willie and Marco for the ideas. I got the HOWTO and will read it
78 and try it out. I wasn't aware that there was a gentoo wiki. Looks like
79 lots of info there that I need to read.
80 Thanks for the help.
81 Jerry
82 --
83 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list