From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 12:47:42
1 On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 06:20:38 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I got it transfered over. I noticed something weird tho. I was booted
4 > from the CD. When I was checking the permissions to make sure things
5 > were going well, it kept showing gentoo:users instead of dale:users for
6 > example. The ones that were root were fine but the ones that should be
7 > dale:users was gentoo:users. I stopped and reformatted the drives and
8 > it always did the same thing. I finally gave in and let it copy anyway.
9 >
10 > After it was copied, I chroot'ed in and all the permissions were like
11 > they should be including dale:users. Any idea why it did that? It did
12 > the same thing with both rsync -ax and cp -av. Just thought it was
13 > weird is all.
14
15 Filesystems store numeric values for UID/GID, commands like ls translate
16 these to actual names. Gentoo normally makes the first user 1000, which
17 is probably the UID of dale on your installation and gentoo on the live
18 CD.Root is always UID 0, which is why that was shown correctly.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 I doubt therefore I might be.