From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:33:16
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 06:20:38 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >> I got it transfered over. I noticed something weird tho. I was booted
6 >> from the CD. When I was checking the permissions to make sure things
7 >> were going well, it kept showing gentoo:users instead of dale:users for
8 >> example. The ones that were root were fine but the ones that should be
9 >> dale:users was gentoo:users. I stopped and reformatted the drives and
10 >> it always did the same thing. I finally gave in and let it copy anyway.
11 >>
12 >> After it was copied, I chroot'ed in and all the permissions were like
13 >> they should be including dale:users. Any idea why it did that? It did
14 >> the same thing with both rsync -ax and cp -av. Just thought it was
15 >> weird is all.
18 > Filesystems store numeric values for UID/GID, commands like ls translate
19 > these to actual names. Gentoo normally makes the first user 1000, which
20 > is probably the UID of dale on your installation and gentoo on the live
21 > CD.Root is always UID 0, which is why that was shown correctly.
26 Oh, makes sense. Should have known that computers reduce everything to
27 numbers. ROFLMAO At least now I know why it did that. It had me
28 freaked out for a bit there.
29
30 New transfer is working very well. Pretty swift but not much difference
31 from the old one. At least I got some of the cruft cleaned out.
32
33 Dale
34