From: Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Instaling KDE 4.2, second attempt...
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 22:12:39
1 On Tuesday 03 Feb 2009, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@×××××××××.net>
3 wrote:
4 > > My first attempt at installing KDE 4.2 so trashed my desktop I had to
5 > > perform a general restore to remove all traces of it. I have a completely
6 > > current 3.5.10 system running, so I thought I would get a situation where
7 > > I could choose which system to login to. In fact, on my second attempt, I
8 > > get my original KDM 3.5 login screen and no new options and when I login
9 > > I do get my original desktop environment, albeit with corrupt konqueror
10 > > tool bars. Any ideas how to enable KDM 4.2 and get the new desktop?
11 >
12 > In my case I uninstalled KDE 3 completely before trying to install KDE
13 > 4.2. Also make sure your xdm has kde-4.2 so it uses the new KDM.
14
15 No the problem was that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is not the same as restarting xdm.
16 Doing that, I got the new login screen.
17
18 -Robin