From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Secure Cloud Backup
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 01:29:04
1 On Jan 3, 2012 4:55 AM, "James Broadhead" <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I have a pile of files, and a personal svn repo totalling around 13GiB
4 > which I want to back up to cheaply to 'the cloud'. I would also like
5 > it to be non-trivial for someone with access to the cloud servers to
6 > decrypt my data.
7 >
8 > I have a 50GB free account for Box.net, but would consider others if
9 > they have significant advantages. The box.net account is only allowed
10 > upload files of max 100MiB at a time.
11 >
12 > Now one problem facing me is that most cloud services don't give
13 > assurances of bit parity, so I'd like to be able to recover most of
14 > the files if I lost my local copies and there were bits missing from
15 > the uploaded backup. This makes the one-big-encrypted-file approach a
16 > no-go.
17 >
18 > My current approach is to use split-tar, with the intention of
19 > encrypting each file separately. (Is this worse / equivalent to having
20 > one big file with ECB ? )
21 > http://www.informatik-vollmer.de/software/split-tar.php
22 > ...but this seems to have difficulty sticking below the 100MiB
23 > individual file limit (possibly there are too many large files in the
24 > svn history).
25 >
26 > Any thoughts? I'm sure that many of you face this problem.
29 Make tarball.
30
31 Encrypt.
32
33 Split using split.
34
35 Protect with par2 using the -l option to limit size.
36
37 Upload.
38
39 Rgds,