From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:29:27
1 On 11/16/05, Derek Tracy <tracyde@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > (DISCLAIMER: Let me start off by saying that this is truly not a flame but
4 > more of a concern. So please do not flame me for stating my
5 > opinions/concerns.)
6 <SNIP>
7
8 Understood. I certainly didn't take it that way.
11 > I have been an avid Gentoo User for 2 and 1/2 years now.
12
13 About the same as me.
14
15 <SNIP>
16 > In the past I
17 > have always leaned toward ~x86 (I love bleeding edge). But since this was
18 > going to be a new install I decided to do the preferred method and set all
19 > ~x86 flags via /etc/portage/package.keywords for specific packages.
20
21 Right.
24 > Now since we have the background we will get to the questions at hand.
25 > During this install I have run into nothing but problems.
26 <SNIP>
27 ... with a slight modification I am using LVM2 for /usr /usr/portage
28 > /opt /var /tmp /home (I figured I would take advantage of some setuid
29 > security procedures). Part way through the online handbook I noticed that
30 > they standardized the Stage3 install. I figured that since the developers
31 > thought it was best to use a Stage3 install then why not give it a shot. So
32 > I installed everything according to the handbook and all went well until I
33 > restarted.
34
35 Yes, but I've done FC installs that did the same thing. It's not
36 limited to Gentoo.
37 <BIG SNIP --- IT'S ABOVE MY PAY GRADE>
38 >
39 > So now I am waiting for the whole system to recompile using ~x86 (the so
40 > called "Unstable" packages) and I will see if that works or not.
41
42 Bummer. The Gentoo install is a lot of work. To completely restart is
43 painful. Was there really no other option? I don't remember you asking
44 about this. Did I miss it?
47 > I am seriously reconsidering finding another OS to use, this whole headache
48 > has been totally ridiculous. I could see this if I would have emerged all
49 > of the unstable packages to begin with or even perform a Stage1 install
50 > after the developers decided to make the Stage3 the default. But I didn't I
51 > did everything according to the documentation (and I triple checked that I
52 > did not skip anything).
53 >
54 > So with all of this said if the developers do not start testing everything a
55 > little more thoroughly then I predict there will be a serious drop in the
56 > number of Gentoo Followers out there. Especially if a Gentoo Veteren has
57 > this hard of a time installing the operating system that I love.
58
59 In some ways I agree. I have an AMD64 machine (I'm writing you from
60 it) that has a LOT of packages as ~amd64 to make it usable. I
61 recognize that this is newer hardware and I expected this would be
62 required, but recently I've noticed portage getting hinky about ~x86
63 vs. ~amd64. My /etc/postage/package.use file is getting weird trying
64 to keep up. Portage is trying to downgrade things that are marked
65 ~x86. I change them to ~amd64 and it lets me keep them. Something
66 feels wrong about that.
67
68 But at least my system works. (mostly...) I have no complaints. Just concerns...
72 > When a branch is marked stable all of the packages in that branch should
73 > work, yes there will always be configuration glitches but the problems I
74 > have had during this install were not from configuration glitches. They are
75 > what looks like incompatible packages and numerous other things. If Gentoo
76 > is going to continue to grow then we as a community need to speak up about
77 > things like this.
80 Well, yes and no. I don't think that 'stable' is the same as
81 'guaranteed'. None the less I agree with what I think is the sentiment
82 of your statement. In some of the online polls it seems that Gentoo's
83 popularity has dropped a bit lately. Personally I'm more and more
84 impressed with it every day. It's only been on my AMD64 machine that
85 I've seen many issues.
86
87 I will admit that I have a big concern about an upcoming MySQL update
88 that is probably going to break my whole TV network here. Due to my
89 fear I haven't upgraded MySQL and will likely come back ranting myself
90 sometime in December when I'm probably forced to do it. We'll see...
91 ;-)
92
93 Best of luck getting the problems worked out.
94
95 cheers,
96 Mark
99 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list