From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 02:20:46
1 On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 8:10 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 03:07:09AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
3 >
4 >> We don't do error handling. We don't even try and deal with it at the
5 >> point it occurred, we just chuck it back up the stack, essentially
6 >> giving them message "stuff it, I'm not dealing with this. You called me,
7 >> you fix it."
8 >
9 > The developer is not going to be psychic to the point of knowing what
10 > the user *WANTED* to do, years after the code was written... or which
11 > different users were expecting which different outcomes. E.g. if
12 > portage encounters a problem during a build, do you *REALLY* want it to
13 > jump in and randomly patch source code and/or makefiles to get it
14 > working? NO!!! You want it to halt, with an informative error message,
15 > possibly including suggestions for corrective action.
16
17 But in Unix you usually don't halt, you set errno and go on your merry way.
18
19 > If I mistakenly
20 > tell a system to do B, really meaning do A, that's my fault. If I tell
21 > it to do A, and it decides to do B, I will be extremely p'd off.
22
23 I don't see what does that have to do with any of Alan's points.
24
25 Regards.
26 --
27 Canek Peláez Valdés