From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 02:10:53
1 On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 03:07:09AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
2
3 > We don't do error handling. We don't even try and deal with it at the
4 > point it occurred, we just chuck it back up the stack, essentially
5 > giving them message "stuff it, I'm not dealing with this. You called me,
6 > you fix it."
7
8 The developer is not going to be psychic to the point of knowing what
9 the user *WANTED* to do, years after the code was written... or which
10 different users were expecting which different outcomes. E.g. if
11 portage encounters a problem during a build, do you *REALLY* want it to
12 jump in and randomly patch source code and/or makefiles to get it
13 working? NO!!! You want it to halt, with an informative error message,
14 possibly including suggestions for corrective action. If I mistakenly
15 tell a system to do B, really meaning do A, that's my fault. If I tell
16 it to do A, and it decides to do B, I will be extremely p'd off.
19 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
20 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications