From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng: how to read the log files
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 06:17:29
1 Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> writes:
2
3 >> Can you do all that with the binary files created by systemd? I can't
4 >> even read them on a working system.
5 >
6 > What Canek and Rich already said is good, but I'll just add this: it's not like
7 > you can't run a classic syslog implementation alongside the systemd journal.
8 > On my systems, by *default*, syslog-ng kept working as usual, getting the logs
9 > from the systemd journal. If you want to go further, you can even configure
10 > the journal to not store logs permanently, so that you *only* end up with
11 > plain-text logs on your system (Duncan on gentoo-amd64 went this way).
12 >
13 > So no, the format that the systemd journal uses is most decidedly *not* a reason
14 > against using systemd.
15
16 It is only one of the many reasons. I don't find it advantageous to
17 have to waste additional resources to be able to read the log files.
18
19 > Personally, I'm probably going to uninstall syslog-ng, because journalctl is
20 > *such* a nice way to read logs, so why run something whose output I'll never
21 > read again?
22
23 If you like it, nobody prevents you from using it. It's good to have
24 many options. Just don't force others to use it as well.
28 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
29 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.