From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 07:38:12
1 On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 19:31:31 -0400
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > There are two principle things I dislike about D-Bus.
5 >
6 > 1) It doesn't support live upgrading of the daemon. We discussed the
7 > reasons behind this several weeks ago, as I recall. Transparent
8 > session control handoff is, of course, complicated, and nobody has
9 > seen the work as worthwhile.
10
11 If your 2nd objection changes, this one will probably get looked at.
12
13 > 2) It comes with (or appears to come with) a Linux-centric (sometimes
14 > even a Linux-only) view. I love Linux, and I would love to see Linux
15 > grow and improve. I also use (and am comfortable with) Windows and
16 > Android (which I would consider Not Really Linux) and other
17 > platforms*. Attitudes and actions which push Linux as the One Ring
18 > smack of 'Embrace, Extend, Extinguish'.
19
20 dbus is a freedesktop project so will live or die by it's merits.
21
22 Other systems may start to use it if it proves itself useful. Lucky for
23 us, it doesn't obsolete anything else, just adds functionality to what
24 is already there.
27 Alan McKinnnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com